- 1 The size and development of the fetus in the 30th week of pregnancy
- 2 What happens with a mom in the 30th week of pregnancy
- 3 Analyses, examinations and ultrasound in the 30th week of pregnancy
- 4 Possible risks and abnormalities
- 5 Mom’s nutrition and exercises in the 30th week of pregnancy
- 6 Skin care and maternity clothing
- 7 Sexual activity in the 30th week
- 8 Other recommendations and advice to future moms
- 9 Video about the 30th week of pregnancy
The 30th obstetric week of pregnancy is another important step in the development and growth of your baby. There remains a little bit of time before he is born, and a lot still needs to be accomplished.
But worrying and fussing is not worth it, because, firstly, it can only harm the child or you, and secondly, official maternity leave starts with the 30th week, which means you will be able to devote yourself entirely to the pregnancy and the upcoming delivery.
The size and development of the fetus in the 30th week of pregnancyWhen talking about the baby’s weight and height starting from the 30th week of pregnancy and until he makes his appearance, these figures can vary significantly from the norms set out in textbooks or reference materials.
Everything will depend on how the expectant mother eats, what diseases she has, the general psycho-emotional background of the pregnancy and other important external factors.
Nevertheless, based on average data the fetal weight in the 30th week of pregnancy should be about 1350-1800 g, and length approximately 36-40 cm.[attention type=yellow]The volume of amniotic fluid, in which a baby “floats” is about 0.75 L, but as the baby grows, being very active, and constantly gaining in weight and size, very soon he will take up more space in the uterus, gradually occupying all of available space. [/attention]
How your baby looks
Gradually, the head grows proportionate to body. The eyes are wide open, and in fact, they can already move in the eye sockets and the eyelids begin to blink regularly. This is how the baby shows his reaction to light coming in through his mother’s tummy muscles or skin.
The baby’s movements in the womb in this period of pregnancy have similarities to those of newborns. They can shake the shoulders, compress and release fists, stretch the body. All this is quite purposeful vital activity, and not as chaotic as before. But to move freely in the uterus is no longer possible, so the baby will straighten his hands and legs, gradually changing the position of his head and settling head down, ready for his birth.
There is shedding of lanugo (the fine hairs covering and warming the child). But the hair on the head becomes thicker. Also, nails appear on the fingers, lashes on the little eyes, and the face gradually smoothes out of all wrinkles. The cheeks become plump, the arms and legs as well, while the body skin is still quite wrinkled.
Formation of a child’s organs
- At the next ultrasound, you can see how your baby trains his lungs, preparing for future independent breathing: his little chest rises and falls. Sometimes a woman feels certain changes by the type of movement inside the uterus, for example, small rhythmic jerking means that the baby has started to hiccup, having swallowed more amniotic fluid than necessary.
- Subcutaneous tissue and the fat layer are developing intensively. This is how a child accumulates an adequate supply of substances which will be vital to him after birth.
- The immune system of the child is improving. From his mother, his tiny body receives a supply of immunoglobulin, which will contribute to the production of antibodies that protect the baby from infections in the first weeks of life.
- Internal organs that have formed earlier are preparing to function independently.
- In the 30th week of pregnancy girl babies have completely finished the formation of the external genitalia and the vagina, and boys testicles have descended into the scrotum.
- According to experts, the functions of the child’s cerebral cortex develops even after he is born. So far, the centers, which are located in the spinal cord of the baby, are responsible for the basic functions. But in this period of pregnancy there is a significant increase of brain mass, as well as the formation of grooves and gyri, as well as their size and depth. This contributes to the complexity of the child’s reactions to what he sees – it is no longer just information – he can analyze or even remember it.
How the child behavesThe kid is already able to actively interact with you. He loves when you stroke the belly, talk to him, sing songs.
The response from the little “belly-dweller,” whether it is aimed at your positive or negative actions, will be immediate. So, the baby immediately expresses his dissatisfaction if you sit or lay down uncomfortably, take too long of a walk or you are in a stuffy and smoke-filled room.
Among his new skills, the abilities to yawn and smile are notable. The baby now adjusts to your routine, trying to stay awake or to relax with you.[attention type=yellow]Be sure to monitor the nature of the child’s movements. To do this, you can measure the intervals between flutters in the 30th week of pregnancy. The fact is that when baby moves, the knots in the umbilical cord can tighten and literally cut off the supply of oxygen. Therefore, unusual activity and prolonged lulls should be a reason for further investigation and a visit to the doctor.[/attention]
Twins in the 30th week of pregnancy
Experts consider dichorionic diamniotic twins the most common and the preferred option for development. But this type occurs when the division of the zygote happens in the first days of pregnancy. As for all basic processes relating to both mother and fetus, they occur in the same way as for a single baby.
What happens with a mom in the 30th week of pregnancy
Because the baby is actively growing and gaining weight, you may feel constant discomfort. This is due to the fact that your internal organs have become very cramped, and the uterus is positioned so high that the diaphragm puts pressure on the heart. Because of this, you may have shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, walking and moving around. Up through this time, you may have gained an extra 5.9 to 10.2 kg. Above you can see a photo of tummies in the 30th week of pregnancy.
Be prepared for the fact that not only will your stomach get bigger, but there will be other significant changes. Many pregnant women may have fatty deposits on the hips and the sides, breasts will get heavier and fuller, nipples will grow and get harder, colostrum appears.
Your spine and joints of the lower limbs will experience more stress. Because of this, pregnant women often complain of back pain, leg edema, and new or ongoing varicose veins.[attention type=yellow]Due to the incorrect position of the stomach and the intensive work of hormones, you may suffer from heartburn, frequent constipation, decreased peristalsis.[/attention]
Sleep problems: what can be done?If you are tortured by insomnia, you should learn to relax, spending more time alone and communicating with your baby. Let yourself be surrounded only by a positive atmosphere conducive to calmness, happiness and peace.
Try to sleep on the side, and for greater comfort, use a pillow (around the abdomen or under one knee). You will have to give up positions on your back or stomach. If you often get up at night, make sure not to rise too suddenly. And before you get out of bed, roll onto your side.
Discharge in the 30th week of pregnancy
It is generally accepted that these should not occur during pregnancy, except for a small amount of light odorless discharge. As soon as it appears, the color changes, or it accompanied by burning and itching, you need to tell your doctor.
A rupture of fetal membranes is possible, so that amniotic fluid may leak out – immediately seek medical help. Typically, such discharge is very abundant and has a yellowish color. Blood will signal detachment of the placenta, or the threat of premature labor. Urgently call the doctor.
The psychological condition of the pregnant woman
Many women experience depression during pregnancy. Drastic hormonal changes promote frequent mood swings, irritability, nervousness, increased emotionality. Also, do not forget about the various fears and anxieties the expectant mom is currently experiencing.
It is very important to receive support from family members: parents, relatives and friends, but especially your spouse. He has to prove with his care and attention to his wife that he still loves her, is happy about the upcoming changes, and is not afraid of difficulties. Also, that together you will overcome everything.
Analyses, examinations and ultrasound in the 30th week of pregnancy
From the 30th week of pregnancy and on, you will be told to visit the gynecologist once every two weeks. At the appointment, as usual, the doctor will measure your blood pressure, abdominal circumference, height of uterus and whether there is hypertonus. Moreover, he will listen for the fetal heartbeat and determine his position. In this period, it will be determined whether you can give birth yourself, or if you need to have a planned caesarean section.
The following are some of the analyses you will undergo at this point:
- urinalysis (done before each doctor’s visit);
- blood work
- blood tests for HIV and syphilis, hepatitis B and C
- analysis of the Rh factor
- pap smear, to detect genital infections.
In the 30th week of pregnancy your doctor may send you to have a CTG to determine the child’s well-being. More information about the CTG …
An ultrasound in this term will be assigned to clarify the state of the fetus, and to measure the amniotic fluid. The doctor will be able to assess the function of the baby’s heart, his movement, and the development of his internal organs. We invite you to watch a video of a fetal ultrasound in the 30th week of pregnancy and to see the baby picture above.
Possible risks and abnormalities
The biggest risks now are: preterm delivery, preeclampsia and cessation of intrauterine development. In addition, take care of the following precautions:
- avoid large gatherings of people, so as not to pick up any infection – you do not need this complication right now;
- do not lift anything heavy, and do not make sharp movements;
- carefully study the instructions of even cosmetic products, and consult a doctor about any medication;
- monitor your chronic diseases, preventing their progression.
Mom’s nutrition and exercises in the 30th week of pregnancyAdhere to proper nutrition throughout the entire pregnancy. If earlier you could afford to indulge or did not completely abandon some old habits, then now is time to control and limit yourself.
Try not to consume:
- marinated, fried, salty, spicy and smoked food;
- strong tea or coffee;
- undercooked dishes (such as sushi or raw eggs);
- gas-inducing products (beans, cabbage, grapes);
- foods that can cause allergies (exotic fruits, caviar).
Limit consumption of sugar, pastries and sweets in your diet. It is better to eat more fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs. Fish, meat and dairy products must be present. Distribute small portions throughout the day.[attention type=yellow]As for physical activity, it should be moderate. Get enough rest and sleep, take regular walks and stretch. Very useful are swimming or yoga in special groups.[/attention]
Skin care and maternity clothingProblems with stretch marks appear almost in every pregnant woman. Even healthy and supple skin has a stretching limit.
The most vulnerable areas are considered the buttocks, hips, stomach and breasts. Include in your diet foods that contain large amounts of omega-3 fatty acids and proteins. It is also possible to use special creams that actively affect skin cells so that they produce collagen and elastin.
Because your figure is undergoing changes, the wardrobe also needs some renovation. Get new suitable clothes. They must be made of natural materials. Pay special attention to the bra. Here are its ideal parameters:
- no underwire inserts and padding;
- cups without seams;
- fabric not irritating to the nipples;
- soft and wide straps.
The rest of your clothes should be comfortable, loose, not constricting or tight. You should also acquire a girdle. It will help to reduce the strain on your back muscles and prevent the appearance of a lot of stretch marks on the skin. Choose a model that will ideally support your abdomen. Some of them can be worn after childbirth. Special compression stockings or tights will help to fight varicose veins.
Sexual activity in the 30th weekEven if you are totally focused on the future of the child, do not neglect a warm and loving relationship with your husband.
Sexual life may not be rich and active, but you have reasons to experiment with positions. Find the most comfortable ones, that will not bring you any physical discomfort. Most recommended positions are when mom is on top or dad is from behind on his side.[attention type=yellow]Dads often worry that sex brings discomfort to the child. They are wrong – the baby perceives the pushes as a swing, he is protected by fetal membrane, and he feels a surge of happiness hormones, like his mother.[/attention]
Other recommendations and advice to future moms
- This is the time to decide on the hospital, as well as to enroll in special classes for pregnant women and future moms.
- If you plan on furnishing the nursery or buying baby things, best not to do it alone. Always carry a fully charged phone.
- Gather all the necessary listed items for delivery. Let the bag be ready ahead of time. Do not forget about the necessary documentation.
Video about the 30th week of pregnancy
Read books and watch educational videos. They will help you to answer many questions. This edition of the video guide will tell you about the 30th week of pregnancy. Here you can learn about how to fight insomnia and fatigue, how to perform exercises for pelvic muscles, and more.
Judging by my own memories, this time can be described as difficult and anxious, but joyful at the same time. Within a few weeks, you will meet your baby, take him on your arms, and firmly embrace him. Your love and care for him will serve as a sturdy foundation for his further development in this big strange world.[attention type=yellow]
If you are now in the 30th week of pregnancy, share your feelings and experiences, tell us about the difficulties and the joys that accompany this wonderful and unforgettable process.[/attention]