- 1 The size and development of the fetus at the 13th week of gestation
- 2 What’s going on with mom in the 13th week of pregnancy
- 3 Analyses, examinations and ultrasound in the 13th week of pregnancy
- 4 Possible problems in the 13th week of pregnancy
- 5 Nutrition and exercise in the 13th week of pregnancy
- 6 Sexual activity in the 13th week
- 7 Recommendations for future moms
- 8 Video about 13th week of pregnancy
The 13th obstetric week of pregnancy is the period of pregnancy when the future mom can safely go to the store for new clothes, because the majority of her wardrobe is simply too small by now.
The first trimester is coming to a smooth completion and just as smoothly the mood and health of the woman starts to improve. With each day, vomiting, dizziness and nausea retreat further and further away. In short, life begins to rebuild: there is the desire to dance, to paint, to sing, to spend more time in the circle of family and friends.
Your baby is the size of a peach. Its body will now rapidly develop and grow, and closer to the end of pregnancy it will be 3-4 times bigger than the head. The photo shows the rapid development of the baby in the 13th week.
The thirteenth week is a time when you need to think only about good, positive things, enjoy life, and tune in to a positive wavelength!
The size and development of the fetus at the 13th week of gestationIn the13th week of gestation, the fetus’s length varies from 6 to 9 cm. The weight of the fetus is 14-23 grams. The size of the fetus is reminiscent of a medium peach or nectarine. By this time all the milk teeth of the baby are already preset.
At this stage of pregnancy the placenta is finally formed, producing a certain amount of estrogen and progesterone, on which the further development of the fetus depends.
The thickness of the placenta does not exceed 1.5 cm. All the necessary nutrients for your baby pass through it: proteins, fats and carbohydrates. At the same time, it does not allow through most of the toxic substances that may harm the fetus. Also, the placenta prevents the formation of an Rh-conflict, which results from the interaction of the mother’s immune system with the baby.[attention type=green]A rapid development of the brain, as well as a reflex system, are taking place: the baby winces, grimaces, twists lips, makes fists. Most of the time the fetus is at rest, but sometimes it moves ever so slightly.[/attention]
In the 13th week of pregnancy the baby continues to develop and form all the necessary organs and systems that provide for a healthy functioning of the organism:
- The skeletal system of the baby is actively formed. The bones begin to amass deposits useful minerals, especially calcium. The primary ribs are formed, the bones of the skull and spine slowly ossify.
- The head of the child is no longer pressed to his chest; eyebrows, chin and nose are clearly distinguished. Ears are taking their ordinary human position, and its eyes are gradually converging towards the nose, but they are still closed by eyelids.
- The skin becomes very thin and delicate. Since there is no body fat, the skin has a bright red color, and small capillary vessels show through.
- The respiratory system of the fetus in the 13th week of pregnancy is almost formed. The baby can breathe independently, but the glottis is still closed. By breathing, the muscles of the chest and diaphragm are training.
What’s going on with mom in the 13th week of pregnancy
A mother’s journey is always replete with a variety of difficulties and anxiety. It is the women, who find themselves for the first time in such an interesting situation, who are the most worried. Their heads are constantly full of doubts concerning the birth of a healthy baby.
The psychological aspectThe 13th week feels in many ways similar to the previous weeks of pregnancy. It is also characterized by mixed feelings that a woman is overwhelmed with. On the one hand, the expectant mother is infinitely pleased with her condition. But on the other – she comes to the realization that carefree days are gone, and now it is time to take responsibility not only for her life, but for the life of the little unborn person.
To top it off, as bad luck would have it, many friends and girlfriends start to “scare” the future mommy with stories about complications, and terrible consequences of force majeure during childbirth. Of course, such talks will not leave the pregnant woman indifferent and these stories can cause nervous breakdowns, unnecessary worries and frequent tears.[attention type=yellow]However, despite all of these factors, the thirteenth week of pregnancy is characterized by a more positive mood with no clearly-marked ups and downs. This stability is caused by a decrease in toxemia. The future mom is starting to feel much better and more comfortable with each passing day, and feels an incredible energy boost.[/attention]
The state of the woman’s health
In general, the well-being of the woman in the 13th week of pregnancy is positive and dynamic. But this period is also characterized by certain problems:
- Constipation due to intestinal disorders. In addition, the uterus is constantly increasing in size, which can contribute to this problem.
- Cramps in calves at night due to lack of vitamins and minerals, especially calcium.
- The decrease in blood pressure, which is frequently observed after the formation of placental circulation. If blood pressure instead increases during pregnancy, you should pay special attention to the condition of your kidneys.
The female body at 13th weeks’ gestation
The female body prior to the 13th week of pregnancy develops the necessary amount of hormones to ensure the safety of the fetus. Therefore, soon a woman will no longer have morning sickness. Irritability of the future mom will be reduced to a minimum, and disturbing thoughts about miscarriage will disappear.
The body itself will undergo some changes:
- The uterus increases to 3 cm in height and 10 cm in width. It moves unnoticeably from the pelvic floor into the abdominal cavity. So, a slightly rounded belly soon appears.
- Every day the uterus gets more soft and supple. Such a change may be accompanied by slight vaginal discharge. Typically, it is no different from the usual color and smell, but if the discharge is yellow in color and an with an unpleasant odor, it’s worth immediately notifying your doctor. More information about secretions during pregnancy.
- Breast enlargement becomes more and more noticeable. With a light massage of the nipples a yellowish liquid – colostrum – may emerge.
- By the end of the 13th week, vaginal discharge becomes more liquid and abundant. It is not necessary to worry about this, since the previously dominant progesterone gradually recedes into the background, giving way to estrogen.
During the first trimester the mom adds 1-2 kilograms to her weight. In the photos of tummies you can see how a mom’s body has changed in 13 weeks.
Analyses, examinations and ultrasound in the 13th week of pregnancy
Regular consultations with a doctor, compliance with all of the recommendations and advice of specialists, as well as routine examinations and ultrasound help a future mom to give birth to a healthy baby, and to preserve her own health.
Analyses and doctors
In the 12-13th weeks of pregnancy a woman should have a blood test: a double test – hormone PAP-A and the level of the HCG hormone. Both analyses are an integral part of pregnancy screening, and are required parts of biochemical screening.
The result will enable a final determination that the health of the mother and the baby is not in danger, or, in the initial stage of pregnancy, will identify any deviations in fetal development and allow for prompt treatment.
Also, it is necessary to take a urine test to monitor the state of the kidneys and the body as a whole.
Once the results are in, plan a consultation with an obstetrician-gynecologist.
Ultrasound at 13 weeks of gestation. Video
At 11-13 weeks of pregnancy prenatal screening is carried out. Ultrasound at this stage is directed at the study of the abdominal cavity of the fetus.
Despite the fact that a baby has not ingested food, peristalsis activity is visible in his gut. The sonogram technician measures the circumference and the transverse dimension of the abdomen of the baby.
Through prenatal screening one can see how the little baby has grown. Its size can be compared to a small apple. The little head displays first fuzz. In addition, the happy parents can watch the baby hug itself on the monitor. In the ultrasound photo above, you can see how much your child has changed in 13 weeks’ gestation, compared with the previous week.
Possible problems in the 13th week of pregnancy
After 13 weeks, the risk of a missed abortion is significantly reduced. So the mom can stop worrying about it.
The 13th week of pregnancy is characterized by increased uterine tone. And because of its spasms, the healthy development of the fetus, and the life of the baby in general may be questioned. But one should not be unnecessarily concerned about a miscarriage, because the presence of uterine tone is not always a problem. Read more about it here.
Frequent stress, high workload at work or home, fatigue – all this affects the increase in the tone of the uterus. Moreover, such a deviation can show up due to a lack of progesterone or estradiol. The indications for immediate treatment or medical assistance are: a pain in the lower abdomen, acute lower back pain, hardening of the uterus, yellow spotting with an unpleasant odor.[attention type=yellow]A specialist must prescribe her patient aa complete course of magnesium and antispasmodics to reduce the excitability of the uterine muscle tissue. In addition, the woman during this time should strictly comply with bed rest, and eliminate physical exertion. If you do not improve, you should be hospitalized urgently.[/attention]
Nutrition and exercise in the 13th week of pregnancyComplete rest, healthy sleep and a relaxed lifestyle – that’s what a woman should stick to in the 13th week of pregnancy. Spend more time surrounded by loved ones and enjoy this interesting condition.
Protect yourself from nervous tension and stress. Try to relax as much as possible. Morning and evening walks in the fresh air have a positive effect on the mom. Start doing a set of exercises that will help maintain your shape. A favorable 13th week of pregnancy minimizes the risk of unwanted deviations in the development of the fetus and the health of the woman.
Daily nutrition should also be emphasized. For the baby to be born healthy, the mom’s body should be fully fortified with nutrients, vitamins and mineras. Eat only organic foods, bought and cooked from scratch, without the addition of hot spices, salt or pepper.
Take care to have a versatile diet. Do not abuse rice, for example – you should regularly eat vegetables, fruits, grains, dairy products, lean meat and nuts.[attention type=red]Кроме того, на протяжении всей беременности не должно быть места алкоголю, тонизирующим напиткам и курению![/attention]
Sexual activity in the 13th weekBy the end of the first trimester a woman has gotten used to her new status, and all her experiences and concerns are in the past. The thirteenth week can significantly improve and diversify the sexual life of the future parents, as a woman during this period is under the influence of hormones which increase libido. Thanks to this increased sensitivity and sentimentality, both partners may experience totally new sensations.
The 13th week lets you fully enjoy yourself, your body, condition and moments of solitude. But if doctors have not excludes the possibility of a miscarriage, or the woman does not feel well, it is better to temporarily refrain from carnal pleasures, thus preserving the life of the baby.
Recommendations for future moms
So that your pregnancy is healthy and does not cause uncomfortable sensations, future moms should adhere to the following guidelines:
- It is necessary to eliminate excessive exercise. But for your well-being you can continue the usual sports, dancing and fitness. The swimming pool has an extremely positive effect on the mother and child.
- Even with minor symptoms of illness you should consult a doctor and not self-diagnose or self-treat.
- In the autumn-winter season, spend as little time as possible in crowded places, particularly in public transportation.
- As often as possible, wash your hands with soap; take a shower after your walk.
- During your pregnancy, become well- acquainted with proper nutrition; include dairy products, fresh fruits, vegetables and fruit juice in your diet.
- To avoid constipation, which is so often experienced by women in the thirteenth week of pregnancy, consume foods with laxative effect: bread and cereals with bran, prunes and plums, beets. Do not overdo buns with poppy seeds, pears and rice – they cause the opposite effect.
- Do not get carried away with cosmetics and perfume. Start taking care of the skin of the abdomen and breasts with the help of special creams.
Video about 13th week of pregnancy
After reviewing this video, the expectant mother will become generallu acquainted with what awaits her in the 13th week of pregnancy; learn how her baby has grown, what he feels. Special attention is given to sexual relations of the expectant parents. Even if doctors insist on sexual abstinence, remember, this ban will not last forever. The main thing right now is to live in harmony, care for each other and encourage mutual understanding!
Thus, the thirteenth obstetric week of pregnancy is one of the most favorable periods, both for the parents and for the baby. If you follow all the advice and recommendations of the doctor, monitor your diet, lead a measured life and enjoy your situation – your pregnancy will be the most memorable and joyous time of your life, aside from the birth of baby![attention type=yellow]To help dispel fears and experiences of women who are just planning the birth of a new life, share your love story, the result of which was the appearance of a little miracle – your beloved baby boy or little girl![/attention]