- 1 The size and development of the fetus in the 10th week of pregnancy
- 2 What happens to the mom in the 10th week of pregnancy
- 3 Analyses, examinations and ultrasound in the 10th week of pregnancy
- 4 Potential abnormalities and threat of miscarriage
- 5 Mom’s nutrition and exercise in the 10th week of pregnancy
- 6 Sexual activity in week 10
- 7 Recommendations for future mommy
- 8 Video on week 10 of pregnancy
With the beginning of the 10th obstetric week of pregnancy, comes the most magical moment when the “embryo” period ends. Now it is a fetus and the little one begins his 10th week of development. Just a little over two months ago, this was very difficult for the mommy to imagine.
In the previous weeks, the mom treated her amazing condition with care and consideration, because any negative interference (whether stressful situation, acute respiratory illness, or medication) could impact the development of the fetus. But with the advent of the 10th week all the major organs of the baby have already been formed, and are being perfected.
The size and development of the fetus in the 10th week of pregnancyIt may seem strange, but the baby’s development is progressing very rapidly. He becomes more interesting. Mommy no longer has to worry about the risk of abnormal development. At the beginning of the obstetric week 10, the little human is 15-20mm long; at the end of the week – 40mm and he weighs about 4 grams.
He starts actively moving, can purse his lips, open his mouth, raise his arms to his head, can suck in and swallow amniotic fluid, and make and release fists.
All the organs of a grown person are now present in the baby. He is developing facial features, unique only to him; you can see his neck and count the fingers on his hands. During the ultrasound you can hear his heart beat, which will beat very rapidly. His eyes are framed with eyelashes, lips are defined, ears resemble little slits.
All the main joints are already formed, fingers and toes are visible. The skin is pink and translucent. Until the subcutaneous fat is formed, blood vessels and muscles are visible through the skin. Cartilage is slowly replaced with bone tissue, and the lymph and immune systems are developing. On this photo you can see that the embryo in week 10 resembles a child.
Development of the intestine, bile duct, rectum and mouth is complete. The liver is intensively developing, and the little one’s gastrointestinal tract (GI tract) can absorb sugar and glucose.
The kidneys are finalized, urine is now released into the amniotic fluid. Milk teeth begin to develop. The diaphragm that separates the chest from the peritoneum is forming. It plays an important role in the process of respiration.
Inside the uterus, the baby is in bent-over position, but he has plenty of space. He can already produce reflex movements, as if responding to stimulation: he can turn his head from side to side, flex and extend arms and legs, maybe even push away from the walls of the uterus.
What happens to the mom in the 10th week of pregnancy
The tummy is not yet visible, but has grown a little bit. This occurs due to excessive bloating that does not let up. A photo of tummies at 10 weeks of pregnancy can be seen above.
There is an increase in weight of about 1-1.5 kilograms from the start of pregnancy. Some women gain more than others (depending on toxicosis and natural tendencies of the organism). It is best if the gain is systematic, without abrupt spurts. At the doctor’s appointment, she will consider the increase in the weight of the pregnant woman, as an indication that the baby is developing properly.Mom is not noticing any changes in the way she is feeling. Nausea and fatigue are still present. Hormone levels, which increase daily, still make themselves known. The woman is still tired, distracted, she has mood swings (inexplicably sheds tears or breaks out in laughter).
Important moment: the future mom must learn to regulate her emotions and avoid stress.[attention type=yellow]At the 10th week light abdominal pain is possible. If they are “in the groin,” it is most likely due to stretching ligaments. If the pain is sharp and tugging, urgently see a doctor, it can be a contraction, and there is threat of miscarriage.[/attention]
The uterus, which has grown slightly at 10 weeks of gestation, begins to cause unpleasant sensations, put pressure on the bladder and often causse an urge to run to the bathroom.
To alleviate these unpleasant sensations, follow this advice:
- eat small portions, but often, avoid overloadingthe stomach;
- after each snack it is beneficial to sit for about 30 minutes, and in any case not go straight to bed;
- drink liquids an hour before a meal or 60 minutes after, never with your meal.
It is necessary to pay attention to the nature of the mom’s discharge during this period. It must be transparent, homogeneous and without sharp odor. If in the 10th week of pregnancy the discharge is brown, yellow or green, especially when accompanied by bleeding and pain in the abdomen – urgently go to the doctor. More about secretions during pregnancy can be found here.
Analyses, examinations and ultrasound in the 10th week of pregnancy
A routine check-up in the tenth week of pregnancy will not be tedious. The obstetrician-gynecologist measures your blood pressure, check your weight and can offer a blood test to detect blood sugar content. These days of pregnancy it’s very important to avoid “gestational diabetes.” If blood sugar levels are higher than expected, the future mother will be put on monitoring and this analysis will be done regularly.
A urine analysis is necessary to determine proper kidney functioning at this stage. If protein is detected in the urine, this could indicate “early toxemia.”
One of the most important screenings in this week is the ultrasound imaging of the fetus. The results of the ultrasound will show the mom what is going on inside her and whether there are abnormalities. You can see and hear the heartbeat.
You can watch a video of a fetal ultrasound at week 10 of pregnancy.
Potential abnormalities and threat of miscarriage
The future mom must pay attention to certain potential deviations from the norm.
- If the pregnant woman experiences bloody or brown discharge, accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, it may be a sign of a miscarriage or missed abortion, details about which can be found here.
- There may be infections of the genitourinary system. They will be indicated by a rise in temperature, change in the character of vaginal discharge, sharp pain and other discomfort in the area of the genitals. Treatment should be carried out only under medical supervision.
- There may be a complication arising from a disturbance of the fertilization process. It will have a negative impact on the formation of the placenta.
- Varicose veins and swelling can present additional annoyance. At this point, a pregnant woman may encounter these problems for the first time, only to see them increase in the future. Do not leave these disturbing symptoms without attention – if you act immediately, you may save yourself the added concern in the coming months.
Mom’s nutrition and exercise in the 10th week of pregnancyThe pregnant woman should eat little but often. Do not eat too much in one sitting, even if is it tasty and beneficial. Often such binges induce vomiting. In either case, such binging is more likely to cause harm than benefit.
It is advisable to make the switch to more nutritious versions of favorite foods. The expectant mother’s diet must be versatile but not exotic.[attention type=yellow]Yogurt, rye bread, fruits and vegetables – these are all products rich in fiber, which will aid digestion. Boiled beets with vegetable oil and prunes are particularly beneficial in preventing constipation.[/attention]
It is important to stay hydrated: the future mom should consume approximately 2 liters of liquids per day – this can include soups, juices, and tea. Vitamins recommended by the doctor will aid in supplying the future child with necessary nutritious substances, and increase immunity.
Do not forget to keep in shape and do simple exercises. The following exercises will be particularly suitable for pregnant women:
- Exercise 1. Stand with your legs straight. Turn your right foot in at a 45 degree angle and your left foot out at a 90 degree angle. Stretch your arms out sideways, and twist your torso to the right. Try to touch the arch of your left foot with your left hand while stretching your right arm up toward the ceiling. When your body is appropriately tensed, twist to the left.
- Exercise 2. Squats. Legs spread to shoulder width. Slowly do squats while holding on the the back of a chair. Repeat 5 to 10 times.
- Exercise 3. Leg raises. Lie on your back, hands behind your head. Stretch your legs out and lift them up (forming an angle between your raised legs and torso). Spread legs widely to the wides, and then return to starting position. Repeat 3 to 5 times.
Sexual activity in week 10If the pregnancy is progressing normally, and there is no risk of termination, sexual relations need not be limited. Sex during this time is very useful, allowing the baby’s parents to feel united, showering each other with tenderness and affection.
Also, the dad should pay more attention to the mother during this period, to distract her with pleasant and romantic moments, which will help to stabilize her psychological condition and will significantly strengthen the family bonds.
Recommendations for future mommy
- Restful sleep is an excellent cure for fatigue of the expectant mother. The changes that take place within her body consume a lot of energy. The Mother’s body is placing a double load on all organs and systems at this time. The logical result of these processes is weakness and fatigue. To restore lost energy, have a good night’s sleep. It is also desirable to wake up naturally according to your body clock.
- It is time to exclude or limit the use of smoked meat, fatty and fried foods. Your diet should consist of stewed, boiled, baked or steamed food. Reduce salt and sugar consumption.
- It is useful to take fresh air walks and do exercises for pregnant women. This will improve metabolism and blood flow for more oxygen. Overworking yourself is not allowed!
- You can engage in self-education: reading books and pamphlets, watching videos about motherhood. We must do as many pleasant things as possible – walk, meet up with friends – to derive pleasant and positive emotions.
- Do not dehydrate your body. You should drink plenty of water, juices (fresh squeezed). Always eat a first course. Eat seasonal berries and fruits that contain a lot of liquid and vitamins (watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges and so on).
You need only listen to your instincts and to change priorities. After all, the main task of every expectant mom is to prepare for the birth of a healthy baby.
Video on week 10 of pregnancy
You may watch a video which will inform you about what is happening in the mother’s body at this stage. This video informs, in a very accessible way, about the pregnant woman’s mood swings, concerns and hopes, the baby’s first reflex movements, potential problems, the fear of miscarriage, and relaxation techniques.
And here you are – not more than 2.5 months have passed, and there is a real little baby in your belly. Yes, it is very small, but it is all yours, and this tiny miracle is a source of constant happiness, joy and pride.[attention type=yellow]Dear Moms, have you already had an ultrasound examination? Have you heard the beating heart of your offspring? It’s incomparably magical. Please share your experiences about what you saw on that screen. Surely each of you has is a story to tell. And do not forget to concentrate on positive emotions, because our baby feels everything![/attention]