A woman of reproductive age should be able to recognize the signs of pregnancy. Timely information makes it possible to sort out the situation and to make the most important decisions on time. So, what are the very first signs of pregnancy, before and after the menstrual cycle delay, and when do they appear?
First signs of pregnancy
You can figure out the change in your condition based on the following signs:
- Absence of a menstrual periods. Despite its importance, this factor is only relevant for women
with a regular cycle.
- Breast enlargement and the emergence of painful symptoms. From the very first days the breasts are preparing to feed the future baby, and this is the first sign of early pregnancy before the menstrual cycle delay.
- Fatigue: a woman can literally fall sleep on the go. The body needs some time to get used to the increased workload.
- Changing senses of taste and smell. Unusual cravings begin. Indulge these these cravings but to a reasonable extent.
- Dizziness and nausea. Signs of toxemia may appear in the second week, later, or may not appear at all.
- Increased basal temperature. If after ovulation your basal temperature has not dropped, we may be talking about the onset of pregnancy.
- Increased discharge of cervical mucus. This symptom does not appear in all women.
- Frequent urge to urinate. This symptom is caused by increased blood supply to the pelvic region.
- Uterine cramps. If the uterus contracts from time to time, do not be afraid: the body is adapting to its new condition.
- Bloody discharge. Discharge can appear at the usual menstruation time.
- Frequent mood swings. Emotional instability is not a whim, but the body’s reaction to the ongoing changes.
When do the first signs of pregnancy appear[attention type=green]Doctors believe that pregnancy occurs 7-12 days after conception. This time is unique for each woman, and depends on the length of the fallopian tubes, and other characteristics of the body. Immediately after attachment (implantation) of the ovum, hormonal changes commence in the mother’s body.[/attention]
|Symptom||Timing||Other possible reasons|
|The absence of menstruation||Throughout pregnancy||Travel, fatigue, stress, hormonal abnormalities, starting or ending a medication, breast feeding.|
|Nausea and vomiting||2-8 weeks||Food poisoning, infection, medications|
|Frequent urination||6-8 weeks||Urinary tract infection, medication|
|Swelling of the breasts||The whole period beginning from very first days of pregnancy||Approaching menstruation, birth control pills|
|Changing color of the Vaginal mucous membrane||1-3 months of pregnancy||Approaching menstruation|
|The darkening of the areola||1-3 months||Hormonal imbalance, effects of previous pregnancy|
|Blue or pink lines on the chest and abdomen||1-3 months||Hormonal imbalance, effects of previous pregnancy|
|Increased appetite||1-3 months||Stress, approaching menstruation, change in diet|
|Dark line from navel to pubic bone||4-5 months||Hormonal imbalance, effects of previous pregnancy|
Doctors strongly recommend not to “go with your gut,” instead, at the slightest suspicion, buy a pregnancy test, and in case of a positive result see doctor for an “official” confirmation. Women with irregular cycles are encouraged to take a pregnancy test every month in order to avoid “surprises.”
Unusual signs of pregnancy[attention type=yellow]Each pregnancy progresses in different ways. It so happens, that a woman carrying her second or third child, will sometimes experience sensations that are different from those in her previous pregnancies. Therefore, only a doctor can diagnose and accurately determine the term of pregnancy.[/attention]
Medical practitioners have also noted following unusual signs:
- Appearance of spider veins on the skin’s surface. This is a natural physiological process: the increase in blood flow. In most cases, over time, the veins disappear
- Changing of the facial features. Due to the production of the growth hormone, some parts of the face can slightly “grow” and change their shape. This is a temporary phenomenon
- Coppery taste in the mouth appears as a result of changes in the balance of substances in the body.
- Constipation, bloating, frequent hiccups. A balanced diet helps to regulate digestion.
- The appearance of pigmentation spots, “lines” from the navel, darker areolas around the nipples.
- Damage of acrylic nails. Chemicals produced in the body interact with the acrylic, and the acrylic “loses the battle.” You may also develop a slight swelling of the face and feel a nasal congestion/
- Acne. This rash can occur at any time during pregnancy, due to changes in metabolic processes.
Diagnosis of pregnancy
A suspected pregnancy is not a pregnancy yet. Sometimes, a woman who passionately desires to have children convinces herself of the presence of non-existent sensations: nausea, change in taste. In particularly severe cases, a false pregnancy may occur. A natural “folk” diagnosis is so inefficient and unreliable, that it can only cause problems.
To prevent an unpleasant surprise, use the standard (proven) methods of diagnosis:
- Home pregnancy tests. There is only one type of home test – purchased in a drugstore to test for the presence of the HCG hormone. The prices are different, but the cheapest test you can buy costs practically pennies on the dollar. The margin of error varies between 1-5%. The error may occur due to improper use (read the instructions), the expiration date (check the packaging carefully) and the individual characteristics of the organism: history of a recent abortion or miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, recent childbirth, a tumor.
- Ultrasound. 100%, practically fail-proof method. An ultrasound is scheduled by a doctor after a gynecological examination and before registering you. The importance of the first imaging cannot be stressed enough: an ultrasound allows to establish not only the fact of pregnancy, but also the term, as well as the absence of anomalies in embryonic development. With the help of an, ultrasound the pregnancy term is determined within one week of accuracy.
- A blood test for the presence of HCG hormone ─ effective test, providing results on 6-10 day after fertilization. It is used in the early stages, when the mother’s body actively is actively producing chorion – the cell membrane of the embryo.
- Gynecological examination. A doctor can diagnose a pregnancy as early as in the 5th week. During the examination, the doctor pays attention to external signs: changes in shape, color, density of the genitals.
At which point in your cycle can you get pregnantDoctors say: there are no safe days! Conception can happen at any time. The probability of conception increases on some days and decreases on others, but is never reduced to zero.
The “safest” days are the two days before and after menstruation. The discussion about relative safety can only take place with a regular cycle. The most favorable period for pregnancy ─ 12-16 days after menstruation. This is ovulation time – the egg prepares for fertilization. The “rhythm” or calendar method of contraception is the least reliable. You must not rely on the calendar!
Video about the first signs of pregnancy
We invite you to watch this interesting video about the first signs of the pregnancy.[attention type=yellow]Dear Moms, please share your experiences with others who so far only plan to become pregnant. Only you know how much good advice is needed at a difficult moment. Let’s help other young women prepare for the most important event in their lives – motherhood.[/attention]